- KFC boneless banquets. They make Monday almost worth the effort!
- Living in Birmingham. It gets slagged off but we have good libraries, great venues and loads of museums and galleries and we are just as culturally diverse and interesting as any other major British city. Jeremy Clarkson can go suck it.
- Analog/synthesizer noise of any kind.
- My imaginary girlfriend Ruba Katrib. I saw her in one of my friend Tomlinsons art magazines and ive never fallen in love with a photograph in quite the way before or since.
- Polish ladies who upload very nice images of themselves on their profile page avatars. Sorry if it sounds like im perving an entire nation, but to be honest with you thats exactly what im doing.
- Having literally several lady friends who buck the stereotypes and gender…
Jan 14 2013, 22h52 por BBQwiththedukeI moan too much. But because I have no imagination and im still reading some books I plan on reviewing soon, heres a list of things that bring some well needed cheer in my life.
Jan 11 2013, 11h16 por BBQwiththedukeGot a bunch of CDs in the post this morning! Its like Christmas all over again.
Mirrorring -- Foreign Body
Extraordinary dream pop duo I covered in a past journal -Spotlight- updates.
Craft Spells -- Idle Labor
Playful and (not to) lo-fi pop music.
HTRK -- Marry Me Tonight
Another reason why post-rock music is awesome.
Jan 2 2013, 0h43 por theLchordTop 10 Albums of 2011
Before I get to my 2012 review, I'd like to revisit 2011 real quick. Having fully digested each and every album that I rated last year, I just want to provide a revised, more accurate Top 10 of 2011.
10. Toro Y Moi - Underneath the Pine
9. Washed Out - Within Without
8. Craft Spells - Idle Labor
7. Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring for My Halo
6. Yuck - Yuck
5. Kevin Devine - Between The Concrete And Clouds
4. Drake - Take Care
3. The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
2. Destroyer - Kaputt
1. Real Estate - Days
Like Kevin Devine's Between the Concrete and Clouds, Days had the misfortune of a late 2011 release, and was just kind of shoe-horned in to the 15 slot of my list. I knew it was a good album at the time, but simply didn't have the time alone with it that I did with something like Destroyer or Drake, which I'd been on for most of the year. …
Dez 11 2012, 8h08 por MichaelLeSuerI guess nobody told me that it was cool to write these lists in early December so sorry for all those years of not being cool. Songs, albums, blah, blah, blah.
50. "Anybody Out There?" by Mean Jeans
49. "Coming True" by Guards
48. "Keep On Movin'" by King Tuff
47. "Canyon" by We Are Pirates
46. "She Calls" by Emay (feat. Steffaloo)
45. "Get Down" by P.O.S. (feat. Mike Mictlan)
44. "Up To Infinity" by ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
43. "Firehydrant" by Busdriver (feat. Das Racist)
42. "Tuck The Darkness In" by Bowerbirds
41. "Cheap Beer" by FIDLAR
40. "Cycles To Gehenna" by Aesop Rock
39. "Brevony" by Ramona Falls
38. "Never Stop" by The Toxic Avenger
37. "Night In The Ocean" by Young Magic
36. "Turn On The Sunshine" by Suckers
35. "Paint By Numbers" by Pandercakes
34. "We Were Kids" by Turtle Giant
Nov 21 2012, 12h12 por anthonycarewlisten to the show:
Lust For Youth "La Rouge"
Fishing "White Sheet Beach" [yes, please]
The Townhouses "Schoenberg (feat. Rainbow Chan)" [yes, please]
Fatima Al Qadiri "Hydra"
Crystal Castles "Child I Will Hurt You"
Bam Spacey "Dessa bränder"
Dream Cop & Outlands "Com Ocean" [-]
Elizabeth Rose "Stars Ago" [-]
Flock of Dimes "(This Is Why) I Can't Wear White"
Chad Valley "Fall 4 U (Lissvik Remix)"
El Perro del Mar "Home Is To Feel Like That"
Kate Boy "Northern Lights" [-]
Machine Birds "The Way It's Meant To Be"
AlunaGeorge "Watching Over You" [-]
Chelan "On the Water"
Female Band "Rain Song"
Piano Magic …
Out 4 2012, 7h00 por mikeropologySo I rarely send out mixes anymore (or update journals for that matter). I think it's something to do with "progress" in a technologically digital age. Sharing music used to mean mix tapes. Then it became mix CDs, which in turn became playlists. Now we just stream everything, and if you're the sharing type, you might collaborate on social playlists from within Spotify or subscribe to one of your friends.
Mixes used to bridge the space between individuals. Since most of my social networking accounts are linked and constantly sharing whatever I'm listening to into ever-merging lifestreams, that gap has been eliminated. The fact is, we don't listen to music alone anymore.
Everything I just wrote has nothing to do with this mix. Well, insomuch as the constant state of being technologically "on" slowly chips away at the little things, like mailing letters or creating an actual mix CD.
What's below is actually the only physically crafted mix I sent out this year. …
Jun 19 2012, 20h03 por The405Music
Mai 17 2012, 18h07 por tenoftears
Mai 2 2012, 13h00 por anthonycarewlisten here:
volcano! "Long Gone"
Dirty Projectors "Gun Has No Trigger"
POP ETC "Settling Scores" [-]
Sufjan Stevens "Here I Am!" [-]
Guerre "River Hymnal (Fishing Remix)" [yes, please]
Top Girls "Rayanne" [hi-scores]
Summer Camp "Losing My Mind (Dawn Golden & Rosy Cross Remix)"
Chromatics "The River"
Bat for Lashes "Strangelove"
Niki & the Dove "Love To The Test"
Haim "Go Slow" [-]
Superhumanoids "A Crowded Hour"
MMOTHS "Summer (feat. Superhumanoids)"
Purity Ring "Obedear" [4ad]
AlunaGeorge "Put Up Your Hands"
Jessie Ware "110%"
The Drums "Money (Chad Valley Remix)"
Craft Spells "Warmth" …
Abr 26 2012, 21h55 por LienOnRhine